[BioC] doing some math on an array of PM probes

Stuart Brown stuart.brown at med.nyu.edu
Tue Jan 4 19:58:51 CET 2005

I would like to normalize probe signals per gene on a single Affy
array by dividing
each pm probe by the mean of all pm probes on that array. Never mind
that this is a
stupid thing to do, I have an idea...

The command  pm(affybatch)
gives a single probe value in each row and adds a numerical suffix to
the gene name so
that each probe has a unique gene name.

Instead,  I'd like to extract the pm probes into a matrix that has a
single Affy gene name for a row header and the signal values for all
of the pm probes for that gene in the following columns of that row.
Some genes will have different numbers of columns since they have
different numbers of
pm probes. [If I could just get a table in this shape, I could
actually do all the rest of the work
in Excel.]

Then I'd like to take the mean of all the probe signal values for
each gene and write that into a new array that has just 2 rows -
genename (which serves as the index) and mean-pm for that gene.

Finally, I'd like to replace the values of each pm probe signal with
the ratio of that probe signal divided by  the mean of all pm probes
for that gene.

There must be an easy way to do this, but I'm new to Bioconductor.

Thanks for any and all helpful suggestions
-Stuart Brown

--
Stuart M. Brown, PhD.
Associate Professor