[BioC] Annotate package

Robert Gentleman rgentlem at fhcrc.org
Wed Jan 5 22:08:44 CET 2005

The annotate package does not annotate anything - it provides the
software infrastructure that is common to all (many, most, ...)
meta-data packages.
  Meta-data packagess are built by AnnBuilder. It mainly requires as
input a file with two columns, one with the manufacturer IDS (those
that are used on the chip) and another set of public ids (eg LocusLink,
UniGene) etc. and from that you can construct annotation packages that
look like the Affymetrix ones that we commonly build. We would build
cDNA if we had access to a widely used set of mappings, but mostly cDNA
are done locally in small numbers and it is not so useful to have them
on  a website for the whole world (to say nothing of the workload)

   Robert

| Robert Gentleman              phone: (206) 667-7700

| Head, Program in Computational Biology   fax:  (206) 667-1319   |