[BioC] Significant p-values disappear in limma

Naomi Altman naomi at stat.psu.edu
Wed Jan 5 15:54:46 CET 2005

Well, 5% x 4600 = 230, so even a rough guess puts the FDR at 230/360 which
is pretty high.  Qvalues are the level FDR at which the gene becomes
significant.  If NsigA is the number of significa genes at level A,  FDR is
approximately A*4600/NsigA,   so you need a relatively large value of NsigA
to have a small Qvalue.

A log2 ratio is 5 is not that huge in the scheme of things, especially with
only 4 arrays.  Why not have a look at the actual expression values on the
arrays?

--Naomi