[BioC] Can't install tcl/tk on Mac OS 10.3.7

Sam Volchenboum accounts at volchenboum.com
Sat Jan 15 03:43:48 CET 2005

I just did a fresh install of R 2.0.1 on my Powerbook 867 running a
fresh 10.3.7 install. The R installation went fine.

I then tried installing the Bioconductor packages.

When I tried to install widgetTools, I got a tcl/tk error.

And when I tried

library(tcltk)

, I got:

	Error in fun(...) : Can't find a usable init.tcl in the following
directories:
	    /usr/local/lib/tcl8.4 /usr/local/lib/tcl8.4
	This probably means that Tcl wasn't installed properly.
	Error: .onLoad failed in loadNamespace for 'tcltk'
	Error in library(tcltk) : package/namespace load failed for 'tcltk'

So, I downloaded a fresh distribution of Tcl/Tk
(TclTkAquaBI-8.4.9.0.dmg) and installed it. I copied the init.tcl
library to /usr/local/lib/tcl8.4 (which I had to create).

Then I tried again:

library(tcltk)

and got

	Error in fun(...) : this isn't a Tk applicationcouldn't connect to
display ":0"
	Error: .onLoad failed in loadNamespace for 'tcltk'
	Error in library(tcltk) : package/namespace load failed for 'tcltk'

I also have downloaded the most recent xcode and XDarwin. But this has
not helped.

If anyone has this working on Mac OS X with R 2.0.1, please enlighten
me.

Thanks.

Sam

	[[alternative text/enriched version deleted]]