[BioC] Using limma with contrast matrix ,replicate spots, donor effects

Peter Wilkinson pwilkinson_m at xbioinformatics.org
Sat Jan 22 20:14:38 CET 2005

At 12:17 AM 1/22/2005, Gordon Smyth wrote:
>Having within-array replicate spots on your arrays makes no difference at
>all to the design and contrast matrices. (With one exception, which is
>that you can't fit a random block effect in limma and estimate a duplicate
>spot correlation at the same time.) Is there something which has caused
>you to become concerned about this?

I was originally going to subtract out t_0 from my t_6, t_24, and t_72 as
my experiments are against a universal, and express all my ratios relative
to t_0.

Ann Muller pointed out to me that the issue of a randomized block. Now
since I am not from a strong statistical blood-line (I am more of a
programmer and biochemist, than a stats person), I now need to go read up
on randomized block designs because I don't know much about them. So this
is how the randomized block thing came about, not that I knew anything
about randomized block designs.

So I guess in my case I do have replicate spots and yes it seems that I
could apply a randomized block in my case, but as you pointed out limma
does not support this.

I had not realized how to get the duplicate spot correlations done _at the
same time_ as calculating the contrasts, I was looking at example 14.1 and
got confused. I read through all the function descriptions and found that I
could include from the start the 'ndups' with:

RG$printer <- getLayout(RG$genes, guessdups=TRUE)  which took takes care of
the dupes for me.

I am ok with this issue now. I have spent more time with the documentation
in general and I think I am getting a better handle on how limma works. I
will have to practice with some basic statistical examples to get used to
interpreting the statistics and knowing what models to apply.

>I suggest you try accommodating the donor effect simply by including a set
>of coefs for the donor effects in your design matrix. You form the design
>matrix as you would for an additive two-way anova with donor as one of the
>two factors. Comparisons between infections, infect types, and infect
>times will then be in effect made _within_ donor.

I will try this.

Thanks

Peter