[BioC] Affy 1.5.8 functions not working on Mac OS X 10.3

Robert Gentleman rgentlem at fhcrc.org
Tue Jan 25 04:18:03 CET 2005

On Jan 24, 2005, at 12:55 PM, Chad Wayne wrote:

> It was recommended that I post this problem to the mailing list. I am
> unable to get affy to work, e.g. the library loads into R, but the
> functions don't seem to work. I was hoping someone may have seen this
> problem before and may have a solution. I am working in the correct
> working directory.
>
> I am using version v2.0.1 of R with the default Bioconductor package
> installed. Current package of Affy is 1.5.8. I am using Mac OS X
> 10.3.7 and running X11 (X11 1.0 - XFree86 4.3.0). This is a shared
> environment and all packages were installed in the top library, not in
> the User library.
>
> On prompt:
> > load("/nnn/nnn/nnn/timecourse.RData")

> > library(affy)

So, if you go
   search()
at this point you should get something like:
 > search()
  [1] ".GlobalEnv"         "package:affy"       "package:reposTools"
  [4] "package:Biobase"    "package:tools"      "package:methods"
  [7] "package:stats"      "package:graphics"   "package:grDevices"
[10] "package:utils"      "package:datasets"   "Autoloads"
[13] "package:base"

The important things are for affy and Biobase to be there (at least
given what you are saying below)

> > ReadAffy(widget=T)
> Error: couldn't find function "ReadAffy"
> > ReadAffy()
> Error: couldn't find function "ReadAffy"
> > pData(eset)
> Error: couldn't find function "pData"

You can also try something like
ls("package:affy")

which should show about 116 things (mostly functions) and one should be
ReadAffy.

If not, then the installation is not correct. Are you sure they have
global read permission etc on the R library directory and all contents?
Have you checked to see if there are any files
in those directories?

  Robert

| Robert Gentleman              phone: (206) 667-7700

| Head, Program in Computational Biology   fax:  (206) 667-1319   |