[BioC] Logged or unlogged data for multtest and limma?

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Fri Jan 28 03:57:16 CET 2005

Ken Termiso wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> As we all know, rma & gcrma return log2 values, while li-wong and mas5
> results are unlogged. I'm pretty sure that limma wants logged data, but
> how about multtest?

Although multtest uses a permuted null distribution and thus there is
not necessarily an assumption of normally distributed (or at least
roughly symmetrical) data, I think it is still prudent to log. This is
because you are still using means, which are not robust to outliers.

> Thanks in advance,
> Ken

James W. MacDonald
University of Michigan