[BioC] Almost inexisting overlap of diff. expr. genes found when comparing mas5 / rma

Adaikalavan Ramasamy ramasamy at cancer.org.uk
Sat Jul 9 10:09:02 CEST 2005

Yes we often see poor overlaps. A 40 - 50 % overlap is considered
pretty good but rare unless you are considering the top 5 genes
in both list or something silly like that.

To make a fair comparison, try comparing the lists when they are
both filtered by the same p-value cutoff or statistics rather than
arbitrarily choosing a numbers.

Further, two minor cosmetic points about your code

1) If you look at your design matrix from

 strain = c("WT","WT","WT","Drug","Drug","Drug")
 design = model.matrix(~factor(strain))
 colnames(design) = c("WT","Drug")
 design
  WT Drug
1  1    1
2  1    1
3  1    1
4  1    0
5  1    0
6  1    0

the first column represents an intercept not WT. To get the
correct interpretation, you need to change the second line to

 design = model.matrix(~ -1 + factor(strain) )

2) You do not need the force the rownames to numeric using
as.numeric() since intersect happily works with characters.

 intersect(x,y)

But I do not think either of these point change your results.