[BioC] technical reps, limma - theory

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Thu Jul 21 00:44:47 CEST 2005

Hi Naomi,

The limma duplicateCorrelation() function fits the random effects model as a general mixed model
by maximising the REML likelihood.  This is the same as lme() and lmer() etc.  This is equivalent
to the ANOVA approach in the balanced case, although not otherwise.

Once you get to lmFit(), a contraint has been placed on the random effects model (common
within-block correlation across genes) to reduce it to a single error component model at the
genewise level.  So by this time limma is already fitting a different model to the usual genewise
random effects approach.  The residual degrees of freedom returned by lmFit() are correct for this
single error component approach.

I am sorry that the theory behind the limma approach to technical reps has not yet been written up
and published.  I am trying to find time to do this.  The theory is closely analogous to the
within-array duplicate spot theory which is published in Bioinformatics.

Gordon