[BioC] Limma analysis of focused arrays vs. whole genome arrays

Naomi Altman naomi at stat.psu.edu
Fri Jul 22 16:10:33 CEST 2005

I am a bit late on this discussion, but here is my input:

We are using EST arrays, which have similar problems.  We use a few
spike-ins (3-10), spotted many times each.  (We are using 50
spots/spike-in, but I think 25 would be sufficient.)  We spike them in a
titration series, which helps us determine how well the loess works (versus
"A").  Having many replicates is very valuable - it gives us an idea of the
natural variation in the system, and the within spot correlation for the 2
channels.  It also means that we can create our own oligos, which is a good
thing, given the cost of oligos.

In one of our experiments, ordinary loess seems to be fine - i.e. the
spike-ins end up where they should be.  In the other experiment, the
spike-ins "move" dramatically under one condition.  We are investigating
whether this was lab error, or a need for a different normalization.

If most genes differentially express, you should abandon q-values.  The
reason is obvious if you think about it -  the q-value is the estimated
percentages of false detections.  If 90% of the genes actually
differentially express, the max. q-value is going to be 10%, even if you
declare all the genes significant.  In that case, you should be controlling
the FNR - false non-detect rate.  Storey's 2003 paper also discusses
estimating FNR - but this has not been so popular.  In any case, my
simplistic solution is that if the q-value routine indicates small pi0,
then I don't do multiple comparisons corrections.  What do I mean by
small?  To date in the studies I have been involved in, we have always had
either pi0>90% or pi0<25%.  So I have not had to worry too much about
"small" - 25% is certainly small enough.

--Naomi