[BioC] Use of RMA in increasingly-sized datasets

Ben Bolstad bolstad at stat.berkeley.edu
Fri Jun 3 16:13:47 CEST 2005

To answer the "how do I process 1000 chips with RMA" question first:
While I don't usually promote it on the BioC lists, the latest version
of RMAExpress can process virtually unlimited numbers of cel files (I
have personally processed around 800 chip datasets with no trouble while
testing) provided you can allocate it sufficient temporary disk space.
See:
http://www.stat.berkeley.edu/~bolstad/RMAExpress/RMAExpress.html

On the second question, it is matter of there not being an
implementation to do what you want rather than it be an impossibility.
The most important things for such an implementation:

1. A consistent normalization step
2. Probe effects estimates made based on a reasonable number of arrays

The rmaPLM function in affyPLM will return the probe-effect estimates
for RMA and PLMset objects have a slot for normalization vector
(unfortunately not filled up by anything right now).

A previous time this issue has been discussed on this mailing list was
this thread: http://files.protsuggest.org/biocond/html/1816.html but
there are probably others as well.

Ben

Ben Bolstad <bolstad at stat.berkeley.edu>