[BioC] Installing Bioconductor under Linux

fhong at salk.edu fhong at salk.edu
Tue Jun 7 02:59:55 CEST 2005

Hi list;

I am sorry if my question is too basic, I don't have much background in
computer.

I am trying to install Bioconductor under linux. By following the manual,
I first installed R 2.1.0 from R-2.1.0.tar.gz downloaded from R website

tar xvfz R-2.1.0.tar.gz

Then I have successfully run
./configure
make

I met errors and wouldn't go through when I tried
make check  (or make check FORCE=FORCE or make check-devel)

But it looks like R is installed. After I copied shell-script 'R' to
'usr/local/bin/R', typing 'R' on the command line invokes the R of current
version. ( there is an old version R installed, I just simple replace the
old R at 'usr/local/bin' by the new one)

But when I tried to install Bioconductor, I met the problem
> source("http://www.bioconductor.org/getBioC.R")
X connection to localhost:10.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).

This didn't happen when I used the old version R. Any suggestion is
greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance.
fangxin

Fangxin Hong  Ph.D.