[BioC] Installing Bioconductor under Linux

fhong at salk.edu fhong at salk.edu
Tue Jun 7 18:51:39 CEST 2005

Thank Seth

>> But it looks like R is installed. After I copied shell-script 'R' to
>> 'usr/local/bin/R', typing 'R' on the command line invokes the R of
>> current version. ( there is an old version R installed, I just
>> simple replace the old R at 'usr/local/bin' by the new one)
>
> Why not just use:
> make install
I tried this, it looks OK ( no error message). Then I copied shell-script
'R' to '/usr/local/bin/R'again.  But it still gave me the same thing when
I typed in R
> source("http://www.bioconductor.org/getBioC.R")
 X connection to localhost:10.0 broken (explicit kill or server

I also unset the DISPLAY environment variable using "unset DISPLAY", but
the problem is still there. I am accessing the linux (at my laptop) via
ssh as a super user. The linux machine information returned by "uname -a"
is

Linux qtlpc.salk.edu 2.4.20-31.9bigmem #1 SMP Tue Apr 13 17:11:51 EDT 2004
i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

As I mentioned before, there was an old version R installed before, it
didn't gave me that error when I typed
"source("http://www.bioconductor.org/getBioC.R")", which make me think
there may be something wrong with my installation.

thanks for your help.

Fangxin