[BioC] How to use affy's image function on RMA values?

Ben Bolstad bolstad at stat.berkeley.edu
Thu Jun 9 06:27:22 CEST 2005

I'm a little perplexed by why you want to replace the raw probe
intensities by processed RMA expression values. It makes no sense to do
this and what is happening is that your RMA expression values are being
duplicated many times to fill up the expr slot of the AffyBatch (this
probably explains the diagonal structures you are observing).

Instead this is what I think you really want to do:

library(affyPLM)

Data <- ReadAffy( filenames=c("A1.CEL", etc, "A40.CEL"))

image(Data) # to create/view images of the raw intensities

my.Pset <- rmaPLM(Data)

image(my.Pset,type="resids")  #image the residuals from RMA
image(my.Pset,type="pos.resids")  #image the positive residuals from RMA
image(my.Pset,type="neg.resids")  #image the negative residuals from RMA
image(my.Pset,type="sign.resids")  #image the sign of residuals from RMA

Note that image() on PLMsets also will take a "which" argument to see
individual arrays rather than the whole dataset in quick sucession

eg

image(my.Pset,which=2,type="resids")

would show an image of the RMA residuals for the second chip in the
dataset. If you are interested there are a large number of images at
http://www.stat.berkeley.edu/~bolstad/PLMImageGallery/
of this type which you could use as a comparison aid on your own images

Hope this helps,

Ben

Ben Bolstad <bolstad at stat.berkeley.edu>
http://www.stat.berkeley.edu/~bolstad