[BioC] Installing Bioconductor under Linux

Robert Citek rwcitek at alum.calberkeley.org
Fri Jun 10 16:24:42 CEST 2005

On Jun 7, 2005, at 11:51 AM, fhong at salk.edu wrote:
> I also unset the DISPLAY environment variable using "unset
> DISPLAY", but
> the problem is still there. I am accessing the linux (at my laptop)
> via
> ssh as a super user. The linux machine information returned by
> "uname -a"
> is
>
> Linux qtlpc.salk.edu 2.4.20-31.9bigmem #1 SMP Tue Apr 13 17:11:51
> EDT 2004
> i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

What version/distro of Linux are you using?  From the "uname -a" I
would guess it is a Red Hat 9 or Fedora Core 1 distro, but I could be
wrong.  To figure out what distro you are running type this:

   $ cat /etc/*-release /etc/*-version

Based on the distro, you can then use the package management system
best suited for that distro.

How important is it that you install BioC?  That is, would running
BioC from a LiveCD/LiveDVD work for you?  If so, have a look into
Quantian:

   http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/quantian.html

Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org/downloads
Help others get OpenSource software.  Distribute FLOSS
for Windows, Linux, *BSD, and MacOS X with BitTorrent