[BioC] pools and tech rep

Ariel Chernomoretz ariel.chernomoretz at crchul.ulaval.ca
Thu Jun 16 14:14:47 CEST 2005

Dear list,

I have the following batch of 6 cel files to analyze:
3 chips hybridized with different tissue samples (with a different purified
cell type in each case), and one technical replicate per tissue.
For each tissue, a pool of 12 mice was used.
As you can see no biological replication was performed.

My question is: given that a relative large number of mice was used for
pooling, and that a specific cell type is consider in each case, can I expect
that the inter-individual variability be highly reduced?
Right now  I do not have a quantitative estimation of the expected
biological(12-mice pool) vs technical variability ratio, but in the case they
were of the same order, could the technical replicates be considered in order
to construct typical statistics, such LPE or the LIMMA modified-t one?
If bio and technical variations are of the same order, can the same
distributional hypothesis used to described biological correlations be
applied to technical replicates?

Thanks for your help

Ariel./

--