[BioC] What's the meaning of "covar" in the widget of ReadAffy and how to determine this value?

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Thu Jun 16 19:47:57 CEST 2005

Elaine yang wrote:
> Hi there, I am new in using package and some basic questions for
> ReadAffy. I tried to use ReadAffy(widget=TRUE) function to select the
> cel files by using widget tools. But after I select all the cel
> files, it goes to create the phenodata step. What's the meaning of
> "covar" and how to choose the value of covariate?

The covariate is a descriptive term used to distinguish one sample from
another. For instance, let's say you have an experiment where you are
comparing rat liver tumors vs normal liver after treatment with a
chemotherapeutic agent. You would have (at least) two covariate names
here. An example of what the covariates would look like is this:

Sample	Treatment	Type
1	Chemo		Tumor
2	Chemo		Normal
3	None		Tumor