[BioC] Error: cannot allocate vector of size 190104 Kb

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Mon Jun 20 14:53:27 CEST 2005

Christina Curtis wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am new to the world of R and Bioconductor and am encountering the
> following error when I try to run expresso() on a fairly large data
> set of ~50 chips. The machine has  2G RAM and a 3.30GHz processor.
>
> <Error: cannot allocate vector of size 190104 Kb
>
> Can someone tell me if this is due to an improper configuration, lack
> of sufficient memory, etc?

Without knowing your OS, no. If I make the assumption that you are on
Windows and a further assumption that you have not set the targets field
in your R shortcut to include --max-mem-size=2000M, then this may be a
configuration problem (you still may not have enough RAM to run expresso
on say 50 hgu133plus2 chips). If you are on an OS that is more capable
vis a vis memory allocation, then you are simply running out of memory,
and need to get more RAM.

Best,

Jim