[BioC] GOHyperG pvalue and expression value,

Sean Davis sdavis2 at mail.nih.gov
Mon Mar 7 17:24:55 CET 2005

Saurin,

GOHyperG computes the p-value from the hypergeometric distribution.  You
need four numbers to compute such a p-value:
1) total genes on chip annotated in the ontology
2) total genes on chip annotated with specific term of interest
3) total genes in diff. expressed list annotated in the ontology
4) total genes in diff. expressed list annotated with specific term of
interest.

See pretty much any paper on calculating "enrichment" of gene ontology terms
for a review of the process.  Also, have you looked at the help for
GOHyperG.  There is a discussion about the methods and a reference to
phyper, the function that does the hypergeometric p-value calculation.

Sean