[BioC] LIMMA vs. dChip

Fangxin Hong fhong at salk.edu
Mon Mar 14 20:09:09 CET 2005

> We normalized the same data set using RMA and a very similar procedure
> that

> Normalization makes a huge difference, even though the correlation between
> the expression values, array by array, can be very close to 100%.  This
> has
> been found many times.  The recent thread "RMA vs gcRMA" sheds some light
> on this problem.  I suspect that much of the difference lies in the low
> expressing genes - but this does not mean that these genes are "absent".
I agree with Naomi, those low expressing genes might still present,
although the expressions are low. For RMA and GCRMA normalized data, some
low expressing data also agree well, while there is also discrepancy in
high expression part.

My confusion is what to do? Filtering genes with inconsistent result from
RAM and GCRMA, or filtering genes with low intensities (MAS5 call?) and
use one normalization result to draw conclusion?

Thanks!

Fangxin