[BioC] getBioC() doesn't work, download.file() and url() do

Robert King Robert.King at newcastle.edu.au
Wed Mar 16 10:35:02 CET 2005

Help,

What am I doing wrong.

http access behind a proxy.  I have proxy behaviour set up with wget.

Here is the success with download.file ...

> download.file("http://lwn.net","check",method="wget")
--20:33:11--  http://lwn.net/
           => `check'
Resolving proxy.newcastle.edu.au... 134.148.172.1
Connecting to proxy.newcastle.edu.au[134.148.172.1]:8080... connected.
Proxy request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 17,265 [text/html]

100%[====================================>] 17,265        26.47K/s

20:33:12 (26.39 KB/s) - `check' saved [17265/17265]

Here is the failure with getBioC() - I have the function from download.file()
and then source()
> getBioC(method="wget")
Running getBioC version 1.2.69....
If you encounter problems, first make sure that
you are running the latest version of getBioC()
which can be found at: www.bioconductor.org/getBioC.R

Please direct any concerns or questions to bioconductor at stat.math.ethz.ch.

Warning message:
cannot open: HTTP status was `407 Proxy Authentication Required'
Error in getBioC(method = "wget") : Your R can not connect to the Bioconductor
website, which is required for getBioC to work properly.  The most likely
cause of this is the internet configuration of R

----
Robert King, Statistics, School of Mathematical & Physical Sciences,
University of Newcastle, Australia
Room V133  ph +61 2 4921 5548
Robert.King at newcastle.edu.au   http://maths.newcastle.edu.au/~rking/

"The worst moment for me was when [John Howard] said that ``the things
that unite us are more important than the things which divide us''. Not
to me, John. The things that divide us are now more important."
 -- Margo Kingston, reacting to the Australian Prime minister,
 re-elected by people who think pushing desperate refugees back to
 sea is what Australia is about
http://www.smh.com.au/news/webdiary/2001/11/12/FFX9WJ94XTC.html