[BioC] Rdbi.PgSQL

Sean Davis sdavis2 at mail.nih.gov
Mon Mar 21 16:20:58 CET 2005

Hrishi,

RdbiPgSQL just interacts with the Postgresql database.  Your best source of
information about working with postgresql is the postgres home page and the
documenation.  As far as I know, you can't timestamp a simple SQL select
statement, but you could make a stored procedure that, when called, does the
query and puts a timestamp into some table.  This will require working
directly with postgresql to define such a procedure (should be pretty
simple) rather than through R.  Once the stored procedure is created, you
can call it from R easily by doing something like:

dbGetQuery(con,'select * from mystoredprocedure()')

There is a VERY active postgresql community available via the webpage and
email lists--you might find it interesting and helpful to move some of your
postgres-type questions to those lists.  RdbiPgSQL is really good at getting
results of queries, but much more complex activities can be performed within
postgresql.

Hope this helps,
Sean