[BioC] plier crashes with 51 CEL files

Adaikalavan Ramasamy ramasamy at cancer.org.uk
Thu Mar 24 04:03:25 CET 2005

I would just like to mention that I solved this problem. I believe it is
most likely to be related to memory issues but I have not done a
systematic investigation to justify this claim. I would also like to
thank Crispin Miller whose suggestion (via private communication) helped
me somewhat narrow down the problem.

Just one more observation that I would like to make. HGU-133 plus 2
chips have more than double the number of probesets compared to its
predecessor HGU-133A.

If the preprocessing is of order(n^2), where n is number of probesets,
then we will need 4 times the computing power to work on the same number
of arrays. But if it is of order(n^3), we need 8 times more computing
power. My recent experiences suggest the later or more extreme. Does
anyone have a more informed opinion ?

Thank you.

Regards, Adai