[BioC] Device question

Seth Falcon sfalcon at fhcrc.org
Thu Mar 24 16:13:31 CET 2005

Hi Paul,

Paul Grosu <Grosu at cgr.harvard.edu> writes:
> I was wondering if it is possible to run an R script on a unix
> machine remotely and then have it pop up images on a windows machine
> without the x11 device

This question would be more appropriate for the R-help mail list (see
www.r-project.org for the posting guide).

The easy way to see R's graphical output on a Windows box when you are
running R remotely on a unix box is to run an X windows client on the
Windows box.  I've had success doing this with a commericial product
(Hummingbird Exceed) and by installing cygwin and the XFree86 package
and running X in rootless mode.

There may be other solutions where you create a png and pipe that over
the network and display locally, but they won't be trivial to setup, I
suspect.

> - or have a windows listening window where it will show any images
> that the R script will generate on the unix machine.

I don't know what you mean by the above.

+ seth