[BioC] loess and duplicate correlation

Dennis Hazelett hazelett at uoneuro.uoregon.edu
Wed Mar 30 20:55:50 CEST 2005

Hello bioconductors,
I fit a linear model to my data with 3 coefficients. I used loess
normalization on genepix data with no background correction. With my
data set, loess normalization resulted in slight reductions in p values
(relative to "median" normalization for example) and reordering of the
lists of DE genes for all three coefficients, which I took to be a good
sign. I also have a series of replicate spots, and running
duplicateCorrelation and including the consensus correlation (~0.55)
term in my linear fit further improved the p values and resulted in some
changes in the lists of DE genes. All of this suggests to me that loess
and duplicate correlation served to reduce the estimate of variance in
gene expression and weed out artifacts.
However because I'm a little wary of normalisation, I took my raw data
set, non-normalized and non-background corrected and ran
duplicateCorrelation on it. For un-normalized data the consensus
correlation is ~0.73, quite a bit higher than for the loess-normalized
data. After running the same lmFit model with this data set I once again
obtained different lists of DE genes, with many of the strongest
conclusions carrying over, giving me confidence that I applied the
correct methods and function calls. My question is, should I be
suspicious of the normalized data set? Am I at significant risk of
generating large numbers of artifactual DE genes?
-Dennis