[BioC] experiment-design-advice-request

Naomi Altman naomi at stat.psu.edu
Sun May 1 17:25:36 CEST 2005

Design 1 is better than 2 but is unbalanced for the dye effect.  If there
could be a dye by gene interaction you may have some difficulties in
interpreting the design.

Design 2 is unbalanced for the main effects.  You would be better to
complete the loop, with 4 hybridizations.

I am not sure what you mean by "dyeswap and 2 replicates".  Are you using 6
or 3 arrays, or is this the base design which you intend to replicate?  If
you plan to have 8 or 12 arrays, you have many more choices for the design.

Finally, technical replication is not that informative.  If at all
possible, each hybridization should be done with an independent biological
sample.  Technical replication is done mainly if the cost of creating an
independent biological sample is too high.  (Technical replication is also
done due to the misconception that it is necessary for dye-swapping.)

Just a note - statisticians consider the control to be a condition, so you
actually have 2 conditions.

--Naomi