[BioC] Missing probesets

Robert Gentleman rgentlem at fhcrc.org
Mon May 2 20:10:54 CEST 2005

On May 2, 2005, at 12:16 AM, Malick.PAYE at eu.biomerieux.com wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I installed Bioconductor, the affy package as well as the makecdfenv
> package.
> I have some problems with package makecdfenv (make.cdf.package
> function).
>
> I'm working with a custom chip, then I tried to create a CDF package
> using
> my CDF file, when creating and installing the package everything seems
> be ok but when i read my cel files I realise that about 20% of my
> probesets are missing.
>
> While trying to track the bug it seems that the missing probesets are
> those whose probes are completely/partially included in another
> probeset ?

  Hi,
    I am not sure I understand what you are saying here. Are you saying
that some probes on your chip map to multiple mRNA's? That does seem a
bit peculiar and it will not be precisely clear how to analyze such
data. I suspect that some form of very large EM iteration will be
needed, but I would not expect anything to do it correctly off of the
shelf.
    If this supposition is correct you now need to deal explicitly with
cross-hybridization - how much of the signal at each such probe do you
attribute to the *different* underlying mRNA species. This is doable,
provided there is no complete confounding - or stated differently
provided each mRNA species has at least one probe that is unique to it
[probably - there are sure to be more specific conditions since this is
going to become a large optimization problem] - but it is not simple to
do.

   Duplicating the probes, to give the appearance of every gene having a
complete probe set will bias your results [directions unknown] and
probably should not be used - unless you have no other choices.

  Best wishes,
     Robert

| Robert Gentleman              phone: (206) 667-7700

| Head, Program in Computational Biology   fax:  (206) 667-1319   |