[BioC] Limma final gene expression report

Sean Davis sdavis2 at mail.nih.gov
Tue May 10 13:53:29 CEST 2005

On May 10, 2005, at 7:45 AM, Ankit Pal wrote:

> Dear Sean,
> I agree averaging is not a good idea.
> So how do I get a single value for a set of replicate
> probes?
> In case of different values for the same gene which
> result do I consider to be representative of the
> whole?

That is the problem, isn't it.  If you have duplicate spots (same
sequence), you will need to look at the quality, etc., to see which you
believe.  If you have oligos that map to the same gene but behave
differently, you will need to look at spot quality as well as other
issues like the cross-hybridization potential (which often requires
blasting), location in the gene (3' bias?), and splice variants that
may be tissue specific.  As I said, all of these require a bit of human
intervention.  In practice, though, you have to validate array results
biologically--that is the real answer to your question.  The
"representative" spot is the one that validates; sometimes that will be
the one that suggests differential expression, and sometimes not.

Sean