[BioC] warning message from duplicateCorrelation in limma

Gordon Smyth smyth at wehi.edu.au
Wed May 18 01:23:42 CEST 2005

Is does not make sense to fit the same factor as both random (block) and
fixed (in the design matrix), which is what you are doing. It doesn't make
sense from a scientific, statistical or computing point of view.

You have two choices: (i) simply average the dye swaps and compute fold
changes between treatments or (ii) use lmFit() with an apriori fixed
correlation, e.g., around 0.3, which would be similar to (i) but would
down-weight probes with disagreement between dye swaps. In the latter case,
you should also include a dye-effect term.

Gordon