[BioC] Affymetrix SDK Bioconductor package?

James Bullard bullard at berkeley.edu
Sat May 21 19:58:19 CEST 2005

Hi all, we have been working for the last month or so on integrating the
Affymetrix parsing SDK 2.0 into an R package. We began because we had a
CDF file which would not parse with the existing libraries in
Bioconductor (the problem turned out to be in the CDF file itself). In
any case, we have spent a good amount of time on providing an interface
to this package in R, specifically duplicating the interfaces which are
currently available in Bioconductor to the CDF, CEL, CHP, BPMAP, and BAR
files (where relevant). One of the nice things about the library is that
binary formats are also accepted so the same interface can parse both
text and binary transparently. Also, it should be much easier to absorb
new library changes when Affymetrix releases new SDKs and file formats.

The library still needs some work, but before I spend a *lot* more time
on it I wanted to know 1.) if people thought this would be good thing to
have and 2.) if someone was already working on integrating these libraries.

We are hopeful that people will think this is a good idea - we cannot
see any reason why this would not be a good addition to Bioconductor,
and would very much like to finish the work with the blessing of the
BioC community.

Thanks, jim

--
James Bullard