[BioC] how to normalize by columns

diego huck diegolugro at yahoo.com.ar
Thu May 26 08:12:41 CEST 2005

Hello

  I am a beginner at bioconductor and R. I have a confussion about how
to do a normalization which consist of obtain the mean of a column, and
then substract the mean of the column to each value in the column.
  x1(1)- mean(col x1)	x2(1)- mean(col x2)
  x1(2)- mean(col x1)	x2(2)- mean(col x2)
  x1(3)- mean(col x1)	x2(3)- mean(col x2)
....................	...................

  I have the genes in columns and the conditions in rows.
  I don't want to stabilize the variance.
  As you can see is a very simple calculation.
  I am wondering if could use packages like vsn or affy to do that or is
more easy to write a script.
  Futhermore, I have a doubt if such simple normalization is
conceptually correct whith the objetive of eliminate the effect between
array.
  I would to know if I have to iterate any numbers of times the process
o f calculate the mean of each column and substract the mean.

Thank you

diego lugro
studient
universidad de buenos aires