[BioC] writing of /usr/lib/R

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Tue Nov 8 14:58:27 CET 2005

Hi Michael,

Note that this question is more applicable to R-help
<r-help at stat.math.ethz.ch> rather than BioC, since it concerns
R-administration rather than a particular BioC package.

Anyway, there are (at least) two ways around this problem that don't
involve making /usr/local writable by normal users.

First, if there are not that many users, they can always install R in
their /home/username directory (e.g., ./configure and make, but no make
install). This is preferable in many ways due to the fact that R and
BioC are released semi-annually, which can make your job a pain if the
end users are constantly wanting the latest version. Of course this will
require that each user have enough disk space allotted to them. I think
this is probably the most common way to do things.

Second, you could simply install R in the same fashion to a directory
where everybody has write privileges. This has the advantage of using
less disk space, but you then run the risk of people changing the
installation in ways that adversely affect other users.

HTH,

Jim