[BioC] Problem compiling hexbin with gcc 4.0.2

David Henderson dnadave at insightful.com
Thu Nov 10 07:08:35 CET 2005

Hi Seth:

> We are not testing with gcc 4.x at this time.  Our impression is that,
> for our purposes, it isn't ready for prime time yet (you're example is
> further evidence).

I was concerned about this when I tried the 10beta earlier this Summer.  I
thought then that SuSE was a bit premature in moing from 3.9.x to 4.0.2.

> On OS X it is possible to switch between gcc 4.x and 3.x using a
> command called gcc_select.  Perhaps there is something similar w/ SuSE
> that would allow you to use gcc 3.x without confusing your entire
> system?

A quick check shows that SuSE lacks this neat feature.  It sounds quite
useful.

> So basically, I would recommend not using gcc 4.x (yet).  We certainly
> don't want to spend time trying to fix something that in the end is a
> compiler bug.

I'm inclined to agree that it is a compiler bug.  I just installed the
package after a quick edit of hbin.f (the offending file).  The problem was
twofold.  First, some of the variable names where up against a preceeding
comma when declared.  Once that was rectified (why it had to be, I do not
know), the variable names extended beyond the right margin.  Second, I had to
move the last two variables on that line to a new line.  Once both tasks were
completed it compiled without complaint.

I'll send an e-mail to the maintainer with the fix required to compile with
gcc 4.0.2.

Now to see if it behaves correctly.

Thanks!!

Dave H