[BioC] ReadAffy() for customized Affy chips

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Thu Nov 10 22:07:30 CET 2005

Li,Qinghong,ST.LOUIS,Molecular Biology wrote:
> Dear BioC,
>
> We have our own customized Affy chip. I got my CEL files and related
> CDF file. Based on the book "The Analysis of Gene Expression Data" by
> editors Parmigiani et al., I put all the files under the working dir,
> and evoke the function ReadAffy(). After that, I tried to use hist()
> or boxplot(), I got the following error message:
>
> Error in getCdfInfo(object) : Could not obtain CDF environment,
> problems encountered: Specified environment does not contain
> Cxxxxx500001 Library - package cxxxxx500001cdf not installed Data for
> package affy did not contain cxxxx500001cdf
>
> Also tried read.celfile() and read.cdffile(), but those methods were
> not recognized. I guess, over the time, the package Affy has been
> modified.
>
> Now, my question is: how am I going to read in the CDF file? Since it
> is our own chip, I have nether package cxxxx500001cdf nor package
> Cxxxx50001probe. Should I create my own packages? If so, how to do
> that?

See ?make.cdf.package and ?make.cdf.env in the makecdfenv package as
well as ?makeProbePackage in matchprobes package.

Also, note that any package you create has to be installed. If you make
an env, you don't have to install that, but it will only persist in the
existing workspace so is not as nice as a package. Note too that if you
make a cdfenv (rather than package), you need to name it Cxxxxx500001 or
the affy package will not find it.

To install packages, see 5.1 Installing packages in 'R Installation and
Administration', which can be accessed on the start page of the HTML
help (invoked by help.start()).

HTH,

Jim

> Thanks a million! Johnny