[BioC] Bug in maNormNN

Tarca, Adi atarca at med.wayne.edu
Mon Nov 14 22:23:57 CET 2005

Hi Elizabeth,
Thanks for sending me the data, so I was able to see where the problem
was. The maNormNN function uses the nnet function to fit a spatial and
intensity based normalization model. Sometimes nnet function converges
without finding a proper solution. Although maNormNN was designed to
deal with such rare situations by restarting again the neural network
training, with your particular data set that was not sufficient to
ensure finding a good solution.
Now I have fixed this problem by increasing the number of attempts to
find a solution before giving up, and in the very improbable situation
that such convergence problem occurs an explicit warning message will be
given.
This fix should appear soon in the devel version of the nnNorm library
on the bioConductor website, as I have already committed the change in
the package.

Thanks again,
Laurentiu