[BioC] hgu133atag-older version worked

James MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Tue Nov 15 13:26:19 CET 2005

Hi Lana,

We must have overlooked this probe package (as well as the cdf, evidently) in the recent re-build of the metaData packages. I will have these built and submitted to Seth today.

A note on installation - it is a common misperception that a package can be simply zipped up and then installed using e.g., the pulldown menu in Rgui. This actually was the case back in the day for non-source code containing packages (maybe < R-1.6.0 or so?), but no longer. In order to install these packages, you have to use R CMD INSTALL at a command prompt.

On Unix and Linux this is straightforward because these OSes usually come with all the required software. However, on Windows, you need to install some extra software and get it configured correctly. Instructions on how to do this can be found in section 5.1 and Appendix F of 'R Installation and Administration'. It can be a life saver to be able to install source packages on Windows, so for many users it is worth the pain to get set up.

Best,

Jim

James W. MacDonald
Affymetrix and cDNA Microarray Core
University of Michigan Cancer Center
1500 E. Medical Center Drive
7410 CCGC
Ann Arbor MI 48109
734-647-5623
>>> "Lana Schaffer" <schaffer at scripps.edu> 11/14/05 6:42 PM >>>
Hi,

I copied the older version I had for "hgu133atagprobe" and it worked with
the current
version of R and Bioconductor!
Perhaps someone may want to try my package.

Lana Schaffer
Biostatistics/Informatics
The Scripps Research Institute
DNA Array Core Facility