[BioC] limma Normalization question

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Mon Nov 21 21:54:59 CET 2005

> Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 17:09:09 -0600
> From: "Cecilia McGregor" <cmcgre1 at lsu.edu>
> Subject: [BioC] limma Normalization question
> To: bioconductor at stat.math.ethz.ch
>
> Hi Everyone
>
> I've described my experiment in an earlier message, on Nov 16. After running the commands
> (see end of message for commands) I looked at the plotMA(fit2)plot. I attached the plot.
> It seems to me that at high A-values, the plot is going more in the direction of positive
> M-values. I tested a few genes in the circled area (for high A-values)with Q-RT-PCR and it
> confirms that these genes should have M-values around 0. The fact that more genes
> are down-regulated, than up-regulated is expected from our knowledge of the experiment.
> In the limma Users Guide (6 Oct 2005) p21, it says that loess does not assume equal number
> of genes up- and down-regulated, so this should not be a problem. I have about 2500 unique
> genes on the array.However it does say that most genes need to be not differentially
> expressed. I estimate about 60% of genes are not differentially expressed.

This is really pushing the envelope.  I guess that loess can probably handle up to around 20%
differentially expressed, while robustspline can handle around 30%.  With 40% you probably need
some symmetry as well.

> In a message
> on this board (Sept 3, 2003), Gordon Smyth suggests the use of the following command if
> a large number of genes are differentially expressed.
>
> normalizeWithinArrays(RG, method="robustspline", robust="MM")
>
> However I get 18 of the following warning messages:
> Warning messages:
> 1: rlm failed to converge in 20 steps in: rlm.default(x, y, weights = w, method = method)

This is probably not a problem, so doesn't need a fix.

Another alternative would be to increase the robustifying iterations used with "loess", say

> MA <- normalizeWithinArrays(RG, method="loess", iterations=10)

That is more robust than the default "loess" method.

Do you have any useful control probes on your arrays?

Best wishes
Gordon