[BioC] [Limma] Correcting Dye swap effect

Naomi Altman naomi at stat.psu.edu
Mon Nov 21 22:41:24 CET 2005

The simplest way to detect dye effects is to plot M vs M on
dye-swapped arrays.
These should have negative correlation.  If there is an X on the
plot, you have lots of dye bias.

The main causes I have seen for this are:

1) bad dye batches
2) ozone degradation of Cy5

Personally, I would not trust a statistical correction under these
circumstances.

On the other hand, if only a few genes are affected (as you would
detect from a statistical rather than graphical analysis),
probably correcting for the dye effect is OK.  The effect is then
likely due to the dye chemistry, not external factors.

--Naomi