[BioC] PLIER affinities redux

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Tue Oct 18 16:45:21 CEST 2005

Hi Jeremy,

Seems I misunderstood your earlier email. I somehow thought you were
talking about expression values, not the affinities. I get the same sort
of result for the affinities that you are reporting.

However it doesn't appear to be a sparse matrix per se, but a matrix
with a bunch of zeros padded on the end.

 > pset <- justPlier(dat, get.affinities = TRUE)
 > pset
Expression Set (exprSet) with
         54675 genes
         10 samples
                  phenoData object with 1 variables and 10 cases
          varLabels
                 sample: arbitrary numbering
 > dim(pset at description@preprocessing$affinity)
[1] 604258     10
 > sum(rowSums(pset at description@preprocessing$affinity) != 0)
[1] 54676
 > a <- which(rowSums(pset at description@preprocessing$affinity) != 0)
 > range(a)
[1]     1 54676

This is what I get with a HG-U133Plus_2 chip. It looks to me like there
are indeed affinities for each probeset (rather than each probe), but
the vector of affinities that is output by the C++ code is padded with a
bunch of zeros. Maybe the result is different for other chips?

Anyway, this is probably a question for Crispin Miller, who maintains
the package.

Best,

Jim

--