[BioC] some experiences and some troubles with GraphAT package

Denise Scholtens dscholtens at northwestern.edu
Tue Sep 6 16:44:49 CEST 2005

Hi Maria,

I think your questions actually pertain more to the 'graph' package rather
than GraphAT.  A few quick fixes using some functions in the graph package
should get you ready to use GraphAT.  My answers to your questions follow.

At 08:29 AM 9/6/2005, you wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I'm using GraphAT package to "measure" the congruency between an
>experimental dataset and the metadata GO biological process.
>
>my experimental dataset is small if compared with GO meta data.
>The specie on which I'm working is Yeast(cerevisiae).
>
>The important absumption with the method "getpvalue" of GraphAT package is
>that the graphs that you want "compare" must have the same nodes(obviously
>the number of edges should be different). If the 2 adj matrices you want
>compare are different in size you get an error.
>
>In my specific case, I created a subset of the big GO meta data file(in
>this subset I had only the nodes that were present in the experimental
>dataset) and I tried to remove from this subset only the edges that gave
>as similarity measures, values of Dij<3.I had 109 edges of this kind.
>
>So I did :
>
>for(i in 1:109){
>GgoPredYBPnew<-removeEdge(as.character(edges.to.delete$V1[i]),
>as.character(edges.to.delete$V2[i]), GgoPredYBP)
>   }
>
>but the graph that I obtained was only of one edge smaller!!!
>
>May somebody help me?

Note that GgoPredYBP is called in each iteration of the for loop as the
graph from which to remove the edge.  GgoPredYBPNew is not updated with
each iteration.  Your graph is only one edge smaller because at the end of
the for loop, really only the 109th edge is removed.  If you do update your
new graph, then you will be able to remove all 109 edges.

>I would have also some other questions regarding this package:
>
>how to use the information about the edge weights? for
>example I want to consider as "common edges" between two graph only
>the ones that have a certain values in their edge weights....

I am not aware of a way to create a subgraph according to edge weights -
although one may certainly exist!  I think what I would do is get the list
of edge weights using edgeWeights() in the graph package and then set up a
similar  loop to what you have above, making sure to update the graph each
time.

>If the graphs that I want to compare have a different set of nodes (some
>in common ), does some method could be developed to work directly only
>with nodes in common?

The GraphAT package is not currently set up only to work on the common
nodes.  I think the easiest thing to do for now would be to use the
subGraph function in the graph package.  If you identify the common set of
nodes, then create a subgraph for each of the two graphs using that set of
nodes.  You should be all set.

I hope that helps.

Denise