[BioC] pamr and samr problems with windowsXP - pop-up windows

Giulio Di Giovanni perimessaggini at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 9 17:56:16 CEST 2005

Hi to all,

After I tried with several text editors, in several different PC and
laptops, the problem persist. I talked with another guy in Rome who has the
same problem, and he is the only BioC-WinXP user I know...

With windowsXP, once I installed and LOADED samr or pamr packages, all the
error messages appear in a pop-up window. This doesn't happen with all the
other packages, as far as I tried.
When you have a big workspace, there is a delay between the hit "RETURN" and
the appearing of the pop-up info window (with the error message inside) to
clic-in to proceed. Bigger is the workspace, bigger is the delay (until
20-30 secs). So if you mistype or whatever, you have to wait. If you just
run a script or a proc and you forgot to load a library, you have to wait 20
seconds every error of the script, clic on the "OK" button and wait for the
following error. So is really impossible to work.

I was using RwinEdt, and so I was thinking was his fault, I switched to
Xemacs, and is the same. Also without editor at all, using Rconsole, is the
same (in SDI and MDI mode).
I changed PC (home, laptop, other collegue's), different installed programs,
and this doesn't change.

I a new R installation I installed only pamr package, nothing else, and
problem is always there
I don't know If this can be an useful information, but once I installed and
loaded pamr or samr and I got the problem, even if I detach or remove the
package, the problem remains.

If I'm not wrong, with an old pamr version everything was fine.

Really I have no clue (tcltk ? Pam or Sam Graphs? I don't think...), but
what I know is that without loading pamr and samr everything works
perfectly. The point is that I need PAM and SAM analysis, because I think
that both are really useful and well done. I cannot switch directly now on
linux OS, and so I have to use the Excel versions (...and yes, I tried also
in a PC without excel at all, and the problem is aaalways there) and give it
up to BioC...

Sorry if I bother you, thanks

Giulio.