[BioC] warning if pdf of vignette is missing

Seth Falcon sfalcon at fhcrc.org
Fri Sep 16 02:10:37 CEST 2005

Hi Manuela,

On 15 Sep 2005, hummel at ibe.med.uni-muenchen.de wrote:
> I am working on building a package under Windows. Everything works
> well; only if I do not provide the pdf version of the vignette in
> the 'inst/doc' directory I get the following warning when running
> Rcmd check:
>
> * checking package vignettes in 'inst/doc' ... WARNING
> Package vignettes without corresponding PDF

Yes, R CMD check wants to see a pdf corresponding to each Rnw file in
the inst/doc package location.

> Also then the pdf is not built with Rcmd build.

If the proper tools (MikTeX) are installed, R CMD build foo/ should
"build" the package's vignettes, that is, create the pdf.

> I have seen on the daily check results page of the development
> packages that many packages get this warning.  How can I avoid this
> warning or can I ignore it? Or do I have to provide the pdf (which
> is not recommended)?

The warnings are because the pdf isn't getting generated.  In many
cases, the pdf isn't getting generated because there are problems
during the vignette processing --- so the best solution is to make it
so that the vignettes can be built on Windows (this does work for many
packages, so we know that it is possible).

Hope that helps some,

+ seth

PS: Next time, send this sort of question to bioc-devel.  If you are
writing packages for BioC, you should subscribe to this list and post
development related questions there.