[BioC] limma toptable missing ProbeId/ documentation question

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Wed Apr 12 16:02:35 CEST 2006

Hi Björn,

Björn Usadel wrote:
> Dear List,
>
> Sorry for posting a very minor thing or if this has been posted already,
>
> using limma 2.2.13
> I don't get ProbeIDs back when  calling toptable

This is a very old version of limma. The current version for R-2.2.X
version is at least 2.4.13 (that's what is on BioC - there may be
something more recent on CRAN or the WEHI website).

I know that the more recent versions of limma work correctly, so you
probably just need to upgrade.

HTH,

Jim

> toptable(fit,num=1)
>              M        t      P.Value    adj.P.Val        B
> 22488 13.32117 197.5873 1.039258e-15 7.791015e-13 23.66308
>
> It does work though when calling
> toptable(fit,num=1,genelist=fit$genes)
>              ID        M        t      P.Value    adj.P.Val        B
> 22488 267388_at 13.32117 197.5873 1.039258e-15 7.791015e-13 23.66308
>
> This is no problem whatsoever, but help toptable states
>
> "genelist: data frame or character vector containing gene information.
>           If not specified, this will be taken from the 'genes'
>           component of 'fit'."
> (I hope my docu is also up to date as well)
>
> and genelist is set to NULL by default.
> Furthermore nowhere in toptable is fit$genes referenced (at least I
> coudln't find it)
>
> a possible fix  which works for me with my limited datasets but I have
> no clue about the internals of the fit object:
>
> if (is.null(genelist))
>     +++genelist<-fit$genes
>         ---tab <- data.frame(M = M[top])
>     ---else {
>         if (is.null(dim(genelist)))
>             tab <- data.frame(ProbeID = I(genelist[top]), M = M[top])
>         else tab <- data.frame(genelist[top, , drop = FALSE],
>             M = M[top])
>     ---}
>
> alternatively one could just change the docu of toptable.
>
> This is really only an extremly minor thing, but might possibly lead to
> confusion.
>

> Kind regards,
>
> Björn

James W. MacDonald, M.S.