[BioC] LIMMA:design and contrast matrices for biological and technical replicates

Adaikalavan Ramasamy ramasamy at cancer.org.uk
Thu Apr 13 00:54:47 CEST 2006

Your "nic" variable is confounded with "contr" variable, therefore not
estimable.

Can you clarify the following please :
 1. Do you expect File1 and File2 to be biologically identical ?
 2. Do you expect contr1, contr2, contr3 to be identical (i.e. your used
a universal RNA pool for all six arrays) ?

If the answer is yes to both of the above, then you might need something
along the lines of

samples <- as.factor( c("nic1", "nic1", "nic2", "nic2", "nic3", "nic3"))
design  <- model.matrix( ~ -1 + samples )

  samplesnic1 samplesnic2 samplesnic3
1           1           0           0
2           1           0           0
3           0           1           0