[BioC] differentially expressed genes with limma

Naomi Altman naomi at stat.psu.edu
Thu Apr 20 15:43:38 CEST 2006

The difference between your analyses comes from the denominator of
the test.  In both cases, the numerator is the differences in
means.  But in the first case, all of the samples are used to compute
the within sums of squares, and all of these sums of squares are used
in the limma ebayes adjustment.  In the second case, only the 6
samples were used to compute the within sums of squares.

Assuming that the groups have the about the same variance, the method
using all 15 samples is more powerful (has a smaller error rate) and
is preferable.  If the 2 groups of interest have VERY difference
variances, then you might we better off using just the 2 groups.

If you did gcrma first using all the data and then using only the 6
samples, that would also contribute to the differences.  Unless the
groups are very different, my choice would be to use all the samples.

--Naomi