[BioC] Thoughts on computer purchase

Jake jjmichael at comcast.net
Tue Apr 25 17:35:03 CEST 2006

> Most computer purchases here are through Dell, but I may be able to go
> through HP if I wanted to get an AMD.
>

> Would there be a tremendous amount of difference in computing power for
> things like Bioconductor and Genespring between, say
>

> Dual core Xeon (2.8 GHz)
>
> Dual processor Opteron 248  (2.2 GHz)
>
> Pentium Extreme 955EE(3.4 GHz)
>
> Dual Processor Xeon (2.8 GHz)
>
> Pentium D 940 (3.2 GHz)
>

> The pentiums have 2x2Mb L2 Cache while the opteron is 2x1Mb

You might want to consider waiting a few months, if you can.
Performance-wise, right now is not the most advantageous time to buy and
any top of the line system you build or order will be easily
outperformed in a few months.  In a few months, Intel will introduce its
Conroe-based processors which, in pre-production tests,  have been shown
to significantly outperform other current and upcoming chips (both
Intel's own and the competition).

With PC hardware, there's always something better just around the
corner, but this move represents much more than the typical incremental
"speed bumps".

A good preview look at Conroe and Intel's new "Core" architecture:
http://www.anandtech.com/tradeshows/showdoc.aspx?i=2713