[BioC] Limma: correct calculation of B statistics (log odds)

Wittner, Ben, Ph.D. Wittner.Ben at mgh.harvard.edu
Wed Apr 26 23:57:22 CEST 2006

Dear Gordon,

I apologize for not thanking you more quickly for your detailed and thoughtful
response. I think I agree with everything you've said below, but now I have
another concern on which I would like your opinion.

For many of the data sets I've dealt with, for many genes, the variances of the
two classes do not seem to be equal. For example, the code below uses R's
var.test() to produce a p-value for each gene and then plots a histogram of the
p-values. The histogram can be viewed at
http://tinyurl.com/epdn7

The model implemented in limma seems to assume a single variance for each gene.
Do you think this is a problem?

Thanks again,
-Ben

library('ALL')
data(ALL)
pdat <- pData(ALL)
subset <- intersect(grep('^B', as.character(pdat$BT)),
                    which(pdat$mol %in% c('BCR/ABL', 'NEG')))
eset <- ALL[, subset]
i1 <- which(eset$mol == 'BCR/ABL')
i2 <- which(eset$mol == 'NEG')
pvals <- apply(exprs(eset), 1, function(v) (var.test(v[i1], v[i2])$p.value))

jpeg(filename='ALL.jpeg', width=240, height=240)
hist(pvals, col='green',
     main='Histogram of var.test() pvals for ALL BCR/ABL vs NEG')
dev.off()