[BioC] biomaRt and ensembl tables

sdurinck at ebi.ac.uk sdurinck at ebi.ac.uk
Fri Apr 28 10:36:23 CEST 2006

Dear Tabare,

biomaRt tries to contain as minimal as possible hard coded information on
the BioMart databases and as such to be robust to new BioMart database
releases.  The getBM function contains no hard-coded information on the
databases and should always work.  The 'simpler' biomaRt functions such as
getGene and getHomolog do contain hard-coded information on the attributes
to query and as such are prone to database changes.
The new release of Ensembl (which this time contained quite some changes)
co-incided with a new release of Bioconductor.  I've had to change the
biomaRt code so it could work with the old and new Ensembl version.
The biomaRt version (1.6.0) that is included in Bioconductor release 1.8
can deal with both Ensembl releases and your getHomolog query works:

> martHs = useMart("ensembl",dataset="hsapiens_gene_ensembl")
Checking attributes and filters ... ok
> martMm = useMart("ensembl",dataset="mmusculus_gene_ensembl")
Checking attributes and filters ... ok
> getHomolog(id="NM_000015", from.type="refseq", to.type="refseq",
+ from.mart=martHs, to.mart=martMm)
                  V1                 V2        V3
1 ENSMUSG00000051147 ENSMUST00000070766
2 ENSMUSG00000051147 ENSMUST00000093470 NM_010874

The second error you give is a bug.
The attribute "hsapiens_gene_ensembl_structure.exon_stable_id_v" should
not be present in the output of listAttributes as it involves multiple
BioMart datasets to be combined to make the query. Currently only the
getHomolog function can combine two datasets (i.e. two species).

Best,
Steffen