[BioC] Thoughts on computer purchase

Yoder, Sean J. yodersj at moffitt.usf.edu
Fri Apr 28 17:00:01 CEST 2006

Seth is right.  Unless you have other uses for heavy duty video, a
cheapy card will do fine for GeneSpring and BioC as well as pretty much
antyhing you do for an analysis workstation.  I'm running a Dell
Precision 370 with an intel EM64T with 4 GB RAM.  I went with 64 bit for
future Windows 64 uses, but with the intensions of running 64-bit linux
now.  We just ordered another $2500 Dell with similar specs.  I went
with the dual core processor since it was not an expensive upgrade, but
I don't expect it to be of much help...more of a marketing ploy.

You WILL NOT be able to access 4 GB of RAM in Windows for some
reason...I can only get it to recognize 3 GB, and as Seth mentions, most
applications will only access about 1.5GB of RAM at the most...despite
what else you have going on in the background or your Windows memory
settings.

I'd recommend doing a dual boot or having switchable hard drives and
booting into 64-bit Linux with 64-bit BioC for large analyses.  I had a
dual boot setup on this Dell with one HDD and the HDD crashed within a
month and it was a lot of work to get things up and running again...

Oh, and a dual monitor setup is great for miroarray or sequence analysis
because you can have your code or your sequences on the extended desktop
and you don't have to swap back and forth when you copy and paste, etc.
I think having two 19" LCDs is much more valuable than upgrading from a
3.0 to 3.2 GHz CPU, for example...plus it makes you look really
important :-)

Good luck,

Sean

Sean Yoder, M.S.
Research Associate
Microarray Core Facility
Moffitt Cancer Center & Research Institute
E-mail:  yodersj at moffitt.usf.edu
Fax:  813-979-7265
Phone:  813-745-1917