[BioC] limma: makeContrasts()

Marcus Davy mdavy at hortresearch.co.nz
Thu Aug 3 01:37:41 CEST 2006

Hi,
member[2] - member[3] is going to give an error os the binary operator "-"
cannot operate on strings,

> member[2] - member[3]
Error in member[2] - member[3] : non-numeric argument to binary operator

try,

design <- diag(3)[rep(1:3, each=2),]
colnames(design) <- member
member <- LETTERS[1:3]

difference <- paste(member[2],"-",member[3], sep="")
makeContrasts(difference,levels=design)

Marcus

On 8/2/06 7:00 PM, "Jay Shin" <jay.shin at pharma.ethz.ch> wrote:

> Hello,
> I am trying to run a makeConstrasts() function to compute eBayes t-
> test with the following design list (six hybridizations and three
> samples -in duplicates):
> A   B    C
> 1    1   0    0
> 2    1   0    0
> 3    0   1    0
> 4    0   1    0
> 5    0   0    1
> 6    0   0    1
>
> I would like to compare sample "B-C", so when I run:
>> contrasts.matrix<-makeContrasts(B-C, levels=design)
> it works great!
>
> However, I have B and C stored in 'member' (e.g. member[1] = B, member
> [2] = C).
> So, when I try to run:
>> member1<-member[1]
>> member2<-member[2]
>> contrasts.matrix<-makeContrasts(member1-member2, levels=design)
>
>   I get a following error message:
> Error in eval(expr, envir, enclos) : object "member1" not found
>
> Can you please help me how I can directly compare the content of the
> 'member' in makeContrasts() function?
> Thank you,
> Jay
>
> On Aug 2, 2006, at 4:40 AM, Gordon Smyth wrote:
>
>> Dear Bjoern,
>>
>>> Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 12:43:00 +0200
>>> From: Bj?rn Usadel <usadel at mpimp-golm.mpg.de>
>>> Subject: [BioC] limma: read.maimages possibility to warn the user?
>>> To: bioconductor at stat.math.ethz.ch
>>>
>>> Dear list,
>>>
>>> when using read.maimages from limma with a "broken" file (tabs
>>> replaced
>>> by ":", two extra tabs added at the end of row e)
>>> limma reads the table fine
>>>
>>> table:
>>> :R:G:RB:GB
>>> a:1:2:0.5:0.5
>>> b:2:4:1:1
>>> c:3:6:1.5:1.5
>>> d:4:8:2:2
>>> e:5:10:2.5:2.5::
>>> f:6:12:3:3
>>> g:7:14:3.5:3.5
>>>
>>> code:
>>> RG<-read.maimages(files="test.txt", path="C://cpan//",columns=list